Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Praying for Eric!

There are a lot of people called Eric in the world, but today I met an Eric who I’ll never forget. He was outside a Men’s store located at an outdoor shopping area. It was freezing and he was sleeping out by the door. I was home sick all day and my wife talked me into going out for a bite to eat when I saw him outside the store. Approximately 30 minutes later as I walked back to my vehicle, I observed him there and felt a sense of compassion that moved me to make sure he was alright. He had a runny nose, smelled of alcohol, and his pants were undone. He was slow to respond but eventually was able to stand up. I offered him the opportunity to go into a nearby restaurant to get something warm to eat and he took me up on the offer. I ordered him some food and a drink and helped him eat. With every bite he seemed to become more conscious of his surroundings and stronger. He ate the food so quickly that it was obvious he had not eaten in quite some time. I spoke to him about Haven for Hope the homeless shelter where I work and offered to take him there but he declined. I’ve learned that for some, the sense of hopelessness overwhelms their thinking and willingness to receive help. 

After he ate, I helped him to the restroom and then helped him try to secure his trousers so they wouldn’t fall off again. I asked him to let me help him and his response was that he could take care of himself and that he had my back. Imagine that, he had my back. This was heartbreaking to say the least and while I repeatedly asked him to let me take him somewhere warm, he refused. I gave him a little cash for his next meal, shook his hand, and watched him walk away. Eric was about 6 feet tall, in his late 20’s or early 30’s, had one hand in a cast, and was neatly dresssed. He had a full head of black hair with a little grey and a mustache and goatee also with a little grey. He had big strong hands that looked rough, as if he had worked hard at some point. He was someone’s handsome baby boy once upon a time, someone worthy of being loved.  

I returned to my vehicle where my wife had been waiting since I first approached Eric.  I told her what happened and then drove towards where I last saw Eric. He was walking away from the plaza, somewhat stumbling but seemingly aware of his surroundings and the direction in which he was heading. I prayed for God’s mercy for Eric, for the pain he has and still endures. My heart hurt for Eric, wondering how in a country of plenty we could have so many Erics who are hurting and in need of care. I thanked God for his grace and mercy over my life as I could easily have been Eric were it not for Godly people who stood in the gap for me. I believe in the power of prayer and believe that if all who read this come together with me in prayer for Eric, God will respond and heal Eric of his sickness and restore him to a place where he can be a blessing to others. Miracles do happen and I believe Eric’s miracle is just about to take place. Thank you and God Bless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment