Sunday, October 29, 2017

Do You Want To Be Lied To?

Do you want to be lied to, or would you prefer to know the truth? That question might illicit an immediate and obvious response, tell me the truth. But I recently listened to a speaker who reminded me that often people really don’t want to hear the truth. Think about the funerals you’ve been to. Rarely do we hear a eulogy where someone states that the person who has passed was a self seeking lying user who took advantage of his family, friends and anyone else he came in contact with. While that might be the truth about the invidual, the person or persons giving the eulogy will find a way to say something positive in spite of the truth.

While I can’t control what people say, I can control the truth by doing my best to be the kind of person whose values speak clearly about the person I am. I am reminded of an exercise in the book, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People authored by Steven Covey; a book I recommend you read. Now if you have read the book and are like me, you probably skipped right over the exercise he asks you to do on page 96 (first edition) because you wanted to finish reading the book. But I have since gone back and done the exercise which asks you to imagine you are at a funeral and the person in the casket is you. There are four people who are giving the eulogy, a family member, a friend, a co-worker, and someone from your church. The exercise asks you to write down what would you like them to say about you, that is true. What you write will help you understand the values that truly define who you are as a person. Are they the things that you should value, the things that come naturally or the things that come from an intentional decision to be a certain type of individual? Clearly the exercise requires you be honest with yourself.

This exercise helped me to define five key values that identify who I am and who I fight to be each and every day, despite the natural desires that may contradict them. They are my values and each person has to fine their own, but typically they will center around some of the same key areas. Some may have more than five and others less, but what matters is that you figure out those values and ensure that they guide you through you daily living experiences; experiences that may challenge you to behave in a way that contradicts who you have decided to be.

The following biblical scriptures might be a good starting point to help define your values and who you really want to be:
Galations Chapter 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

Do you really want to be lied to, or do you prefer the truth? Make the truth a pleasant one by being the person you truly want to be, a person whose values reflect a love and care for humanity that is beyond question. Just a little advice to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment